[mythtv-users] blurriness when playing 1080i -> 1080i

Seth Daniel mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org
Mon Mar 19 23:15:21 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 07:07:33PM -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:

> > > not really a solution, but that CPU should be able to more than handle
> > > deinterlacing 1080i with Bob.
> >
> > Yes, it can.  Any deint method causes non-smooth playback when I am
> > playing 1080i content @ 1080i.  It's not a CPU issue since neither core
> > is working all that hard.
>
> do you have "use video as timebase" enabled?

I'm confident I've tried that option.  At one point I created a matrix
of options for Nvidia and Myth that seemed likely to affect the
playback.  I went through each row in the matrix and nothing seemed to
change (wrt this problem).  When I get back from work I'll try it again.
I presume you want me to try this option while deinterlacing.  You
aren't suggesting that this could solve the blurriness problem are you?

> > When I change everything to 720p I use Bob and everything is
> > fine...except that 1080i material scaled down to 720p doesn't look all
> > that great...lots of shimmering and jagginess.  This is one reason I
> > want to get 1080i working properly.  Everything looks much better when
> > it is displaying at 1080i on my TV.
> >
> > I shouldn't have to deint interlaced material when playing on an
> > interlaced mode should I?  That seems counter-intuitive.
>
> no, but if OpenGL isn't syncing properly it helps.

Under what conditions would GL not sync properly?  I've looked at the
output of --verbose playback and didn't see anything that would indicate
that GL syncing was having problems.  But maybe I'm looking for the
wrong thing?

--
seth / @sethdaniel.org
One has to look out for engineers -- they begin with sewing machines