[mythtv-users] No /dev/dvb devices

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Mar 19 19:26:29 UTC 2007

David Highley wrote:
> "R. G. Newbury wrote:"
>> Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> OP just needs to load cx88-dvb through his distro's supplied automatic
>>> module-loading scripts (i.e. /etc/modules or /etc/sysconfig/modules or
>>> /etc/modprobe/cx88-dvb or ... --ask on your distro's fora/mailing lists)
>>> or through an appropriate modprobe.conf entry (the first is easier than
>>> the second approach).  Note, also, that Linux 2.6.21 will likely fix the
>>> issue causing cx88-dvb to fail to load automatically, so doing things
>>> incorrectly (i.e. through auto-module-loading scripts) for such a short
>>> time is not a big deal.
>> The problem here is that the new kernel is *too* good. Previously these
>> cards were not as well recognized, and at least in Fedora, the modprobe
>> entry prevailed. Then in 2.1.18 or 19, the kernel started recognizing
>> both the analog and digital sides, and loads a module, apparently at
>> random. This also seems to lock the modula, so that modprobe -r does not
>> work. This appears to happen BEFORE modprobe is run (Could be wrong but
>> I don't think so.)
>>
>> If the dvb side gets loaded first, the analog can be loaded later but
>> apparently, not the other way round.
>
> That is not the way it worked for me with Fedora core 6. I had both the
> analog side of the HD3000 card and the PVR 500 devices created and the
> drivers loaded and then did a modprobe c88xx-dvb and all seemed to stay
> working.

Wow! I'm running fedora Core 6 as well. I cannot rememeber offhard which
kernel is on the mythbox.

I must admit, I did not try just modprobing the cx88_dvb module in
rc.local. But I did get a FATAL: Module in use error' when I tried to
unload the cx8800 module in rc.local, preparatory to loading the
cx88_dvb. That is why I blacklisted that module.

I assume, from what you write, that the system is happy with just
it should be happy to do that in modprobe.conf.

So when do you load mythbackend? Before or after the cx88_dvb install?

And if you have them both installed and running, can you change tuners
back and forth to use both sides of the card. I suspect that there is a
little bit of art and skill involved in getting this working and it
should be figured out and documented. And I seriously think that it
requires a quite recent kernel to make it work at all.

Personally, I have never actually tried to use the HD3000 card for
analog reception, so my efforts have concentrated on getting rid of the
analog module.

Geoff