[mythtv-users] PS3 as FrontEnd

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Mar 19 16:07:26 UTC 2007

On Mar 19, 2007, at 9:54 AM, ryan patterson wrote:

> FYI, I installed Ubuntu PPC on my PS3 and was able to install
> Mythfrontend through the package system no problem.  Mythfrontend
> loaded and I could browse through the menus no problem.  Trying to
> playback a recording brought the system to its knees though.  I
> think the problem was the limited memory.

The limited (and non-upgradeable) RAM is certainly a major
limitation. Obviously the RAM might be upgraded with surface-mount
tools and RAM chips, but it would be a non-trivial exercise.

> Ubuntu doesn't have the most lite weight memory footprint.  I don't
> remember the exact figure but just sitting at the Ubuntu desktop,
> used well over half the system's memory.  I definitely saw the
> system slowdown with the more applications I loaded.  At one point
> the system didn't like switching between the multiple xterm, gedit
> and firefox (which is VERY memory hungry) windows I was using.

I was using Enlightenment "E17" as I didn't want to run a "hungry"
desktop. Firefox runs fine in that environment. I was also using
mplayer from the command line, no graphical interface.

> I plan on reinstalling with a more lite weight distro but haven't
> had the time.

Ah. Time, that's the main problem with trying to get *anything* done :-)