[mythtv-users] Think my current myth box can support HD?

Steven Shen sshen81 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 13:21:54 UTC 2007

I doubt your CPU will be an issue. I've got HDTV working nicely on a
Sempron 3000+. Nicely meaning about 35% CPU usage on 720p and
65% usage on 1080i stream playback. My setup is the Sempron 3000+
and on-board GeForce 6100 (nForce 405).

I think your vidcard will pose a bigger problem. The GeForce MX 4000
is only supported in legacy nvidia drivers (which haven't been updated
since last August). I had to fiddle with some of the nvidia driver settings
(XV sync to VBlank, xorg.conf driver options) to get CPU usage where
it was acceptable on 1080i (no stutter). I'm not sure how well optimized
the legacy drivers are for X-Video.

You could always give it a try and switch out your vidcard later, since it
sounds like that's a part you're willing to upgrade.

- Steve