[mythtv-users] Has anyone seen a USB DVB-T adapter work with MythTV with their own eyes?

Tim Phipps mythtv-users at phipps-hutton.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Mar 19 13:19:17 UTC 2007

On Friday 16 March 2007 4:18 pm, George Styles wrote:
> My question is - does anyone on this list have practical experience of a
> USB dvb-t adapter working with Myth? anyone got a pair of them working?
> what distro?

I have a Freecom I got used from Amazon at £25 inc postage. Works nicely on
Debian (Etch, soon to be stable ;-) with MythTV from
www.debian-multimedia.org,  but you have to get the firmware from somewhere.
Plug the thing in and look at dmesg. It will tell you what firmware file it
can't find and then hit Google. After that it appears in mythtv-setup as a
normal DVB-T adapter.

I did have a few problems when it was plugged into the front of the PC that I
put down to it getting unplugged. The coax is quite stiff and it was
straining the adapter in the USB socket. I've now got a cheapo unpowered USB
hub (£10 from PCWorld) so the USB connection is no longer under strain, and
it's working fine.

Cheers,
Tim.