[mythtv-users] CielPlus Sky Digibox (UK) Addon decoder card.

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Mar 18 09:54:27 UTC 2007

Max Hodgson wrote:
> Hi
>
> Has anyone tried a CielPlus card in a Sky Digibox and got it to work with
> MythTV.
>
> http://cielplus.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=28
>
> Apparently you can download HD content live off Sky, BBC etc just by using
> a standard Skybox.
>
> I would be very interested in any details of success.
>
> mjh

Thanks for posting this. I didn't know that was even possible. That
would be a great combination a Sky box, this card and Myth :-)

It's a pity I don't have one of the supported receivers or else I would
give it a try. I don't think there is anyway to get it to work with Myth
or even Linux unless someone writes a driver for it. That would depend
on how open the makers are at providing the data format used to
communicate with the card though the USB port. The fact that there is
only one piece of software on Windows that it currently works with it
doesn't look good, although they do say they are working with other
developers.

One thing that worries me is the disclaimer about Sky being able to
update there software and prevent the card from working in the future
although they do seem to suggest that  it is a  hardware solution so
doesn't depend on the firmware used? You can bet that if Sky _can_ break
it they will!!

Anyone got an Amstrad Sky box for sale :-). I wonder what the chance of
getting a free same card for development purposes is ;-)

Paul H.