[mythtv-users] mythbackend undefined symbol

David Highley dhighley at highley-recommended.com
Sun Mar 18 20:50:56 UTC 2007

"Mike Perkins wrote:"

> David Highley wrote:
> > "David Highley wrote:"
> >> Using svn mythtv version 13058 I'm getting a run time undefined error:
> >> [root at douglas ~]# service mythbackend restart
> >> Stopping mythbackend:                                      [FAILED]
> >> Starting mythbackend: /usr/local/bin/mythbackend: symbol lookup error:
> >> /usr/local/bin/mythbackend: undefined symbol: _ZN4UPnp9g_pConfigE
> >>
> >> Compiles without any indication of a problem.
> >
> > I turned off optimization on the compile and that did not solve the
> > issue. Using nm it appears that the undefined symbol should be defined
> > by code in mythtv. That is a guess based on other symbols in myth
> > libraries.

> Had one of these: it is probably an old library lying around somewhere.
> Try a make distclean, also look for libmyth* files in places like lib64.

I had done make distclean and removed the entire mythtv svn tree and
down loaded it again. I ran a locate and found that the mythtv build
process was now putting the libraries in the /usr/local/lib64 directory
so I ended up needing to modify the /etc/ld.so.conf.d/local.conf file to
add another line /usr/local/lib64 before the /usr/local/lib line and
then run ldconfig to update the cache file. Works now, thanks.