[mythtv-users] No sound nforce2 using SPDIF

Jason Portwood jason at wkrp.com
Sun Mar 18 15:00:41 UTC 2007

I  have ubuntu (2.6.17-11) running with Mythtv and everything is fine
except the digital audio out.

On the system itself I am able to play recorded shows with mplayer and
get audio with the SPDIF so I know the videos do have audio on them.

MythTV will not play sound at all.

Here is a copy of my .asoundrc

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
slave {
pcm "hw:0,2"
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_size 4096
rate 44100
}
bindings {
0 0
1 1
}
}

ctl.dmixer {
type hw
card 0
}

--
Here is the output from aplay -l

card 0: nForce2 [NVidia nForce2], device 0: Intel ICH [NVidia nForce2]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: nForce2 [NVidia nForce2], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [NVidia
nForce2 - IEC958]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

In the setup config for Mythtv I have /dev/dsp and /dev/adsp - neither
help - I have set it, exited Mythtv, and restarted the frontend.

What am I missing?  I followed the instructions for the set up from
here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV_Edgy_Backend_Frontend in
case there are any questions about what I have installed exactly for Mythtv.

Thank you,

Jason Portwood
jason at wkrp.com