[mythtv-users] CielPlus Sky Digibox (UK) Addon decoder card.

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Sun Mar 18 12:41:44 UTC 2007

On 17 Mar 2007, at 18:26, Max Hodgson wrote:

> Has anyone tried a CielPlus card in a Sky Digibox and got it to
> work with
> MythTV.
>
> http://cielplus.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=28
>
> Apparently you can download HD content live off Sky, BBC etc just
> by using
> a standard Skybox.

I believe that the most common way of recording Sky HD content is to
use a DVB-S tuner card with a 3rd-party CAM module and your Sky
subscription card.

You need to put your subscription card into the Sky box periodically
to get updates, but I believe that otherwise the method works well. I
heard that the majority of HD content pirated onto the UK binaries
groups is obtained this way; the setup is fairly well-documented
under Windows, but I am not aware of anyone doing this under Linux.

Here's a thread in which I researched this myself: <http://
www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/241618>
Note that a good number of the free channels are "free to air" now
(not just "free to view") and so are unencrypted. This includes BBC
HD, so you can record that without the hassle of the CAM module or
Sky card, and a number of people here are doing so. I believe that
even the cheapest of DVB-S cards can cope with HD, as they just dump
the MPEG stream to disk.

It looks like you need additional software to interface with the
Cielplus product you mention. Is such software available under Linux?

Stroller.