[mythtv-users] Odd issue with two TVs, Two Video Cards and HDMI

Brent brent at brentnorris.net
Sat Mar 17 12:15:18 UTC 2007

Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 3/17/07, Brent <brent at brentnorris.net> wrote:
>
>> Video Cards:
>>     ATI Radeon 9550
>>     ASUS M2NPV-VM with onboard NVIDIA GeForce 6150
>> HDTVs:
>>     RCA HD50LPW42 (50 inch DLP Projection TV)
>>     Ilo 32inch LCD (My wife is asleep in there, so can't check the model)
>>
>> Both TVs have HDMI on them, both video cards have DVI out.
>>
>> ATI -> RCA : works
>> NVIDIA -> RCA: doesn't work
>> NVIDIA -> Ilo: works
>>
>> and when I say doesn't work for the NVIDIA/RCA combo, I mean the TV
>> doesn't even show up as connected.  In Linux or Windows.  It is like it
>> doesn't even exist.  But when I hook the ATI card up, it is detected
>> right away in Windows and works.  I don't get it.  How can it be
>> detected on one and not the other?  Please help this is breaking my brain.
>>

> sounds like, for some reason, the NVIDIA card isn't seeing or reacting
> to the EDID data. Some Xorg logs and xorg.conf info would help.

Thats the thing.  In the Xorg logs it doesn't show up at all.  If is
connected Xorg shows no monitors connected at all.  I can't find
anything in the Xorg log that references it and no amount of telling it
to ignore EDID will make a signal come out to the TV.  Is there a way to
force Xorg to output to the DVI port a specific mode and to not try any
Automagic?

I'll try and get the logs for you, but since I am going to be hooking it
back up, I thought I might have to tricks to try when I do.

Brent