[mythtv-users] Stuttering video and audio with MythDVD and XvMC

Joel Michael joel at gimps-r-us.com
Sat Mar 17 15:11:05 UTC 2007

Hi,

I've got a rather strange problem with MythDVD, but only if XvMC is
turned on.  The video stutters, the audio stutters, and MythDVD usually
closes when it hits the DVD main menu.

I know that MythDVD works fine, as using the standard MPEG decoding
library will let me watch a DVD quite happily.  I know that XvMC is
working fine, as it kicks in when watching live tv in both SD and HD.
It just seems to be the combination of the two that is annoying me.  It
doesn't seem to be connected to the particular DVD that I'm trying to
watch, it happened with Fight Club (tonight), all 6 discs of House
Season 1 (last week), and almost every other DVD I own.  Is it possible
that this is because all my DVDs are Region 4 (Australia)?

I need to use bob de-interlacing, as the TV I have connected is
connected via HDMI, and the interlacing artifacts are quite noticeable
even at couch distance.  The TV is running at 1080p, and X is configured
with a resolution of 1920x1080.  The video card is a NVidia 6200 (AGP),
using the NVidia binary drivers.

Can anyone point me in any kind of direction to get a bit more
information about what's happening, so I can get this problem fixed?  It
is annoying to have to turn on XvMC for TV, then turn it off for DVDs -
it lowers the Wife Acceptance Factor somewhat :-)

I must say I really do love MythTV, I actually watch TV now because of
it.  Now to buy another tuner card, a satellite tuner card, and a custom
HTPC...