[mythtv-users] NVP: prebuffering pause -- what does it mean, really?

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 23:25:23 UTC 2007

On 3/16/07, John <jharitos at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I get them when viewing HDTV liveTV. Mostly happens
> when a show changes. I've tried everything. Thought I
> was onto something by using RatPoison instead of KDE
> to free up memory but I still got pre-buffer pauses.
> From searching the forums, it looks like it's
> something you just have to live with.
>
> If anyone has any ideas, I'm open.

If "mostly happens when a show changes", from what I've read on the
dev list in my research you might want try putting the mysql database
on a different disk.  It seems the scheduler query is quite intensive,
and runs during show changes.  You're already using a lot of disk i/o
with HD, then the query runs and *could* be a cause of this.  I'm
getting this on SD, and not just on show bounds (on top of that I have
no other place yet to test having the db)

So from what I'm reading this seems like a general symptom of
performance problems, of which could be any number of things.