[mythtv-users] QAM vs. Firewire

Steven Sartorius ssartor at bellatlantic.net
Fri Mar 16 23:06:34 UTC 2007

On Mar 16, 2007, at 16:40, jmk wrote:

> This may be a dumb question... I'm wondering what level of cable
> service
> I need in order to access QAM. Do I need the HD tier, if I decide that
> all I want is the OTA HD via QAM?

The short answer is that this is on a provider by provider basis.
For instance, I'm a Comcast subscriber in NJ on a Basic Plus analog
cable package (i.e. no STB, no premium channels).  A couple of months
ago I bought a standalone Samsung HD tuner; hooking this up to my
analog cable I get a number of HD stations over QAM -- all the OTA
channels (ABC,CBS,NBC,PBS etc) as well as a couple of unencrypted HD
stations (DiscoveryHD, UniversalHD).  Your best bet is probably just
to hook up your existing cable to an HD tuner and see what you can
get...

Steve