[mythtv-users] Help me get my tv working at 1080i!

Kevin Ould crippler75 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 19:14:40 UTC 2007

On 3/16/07, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:

> Kevin Ould wrote:
> >

> > Hey Tom,
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion but I tried it and it just seemed to
> > automatically revert back to 720x480 unfortunately. Looks like I may
> > be stuck with 480p for now. I am outta ideas.
> Hi Kevin:

> The Nvidia driver will, by default, use the EDID modeline closest to
> your desired modeline.  It *will not* use your exact modeline.
>
> You can try adding
>
>     Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "true"
>
> This  should force it to use the exact modeline you specified.
>
> (I also had to add 'Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"' to
> keep it from scaling, but I don't know if that would work with your
> CRT.  You can always try.)
>
> Please post back and let me know if this works or not.  This is one of
> those things that nVidia should publish in great flaming block letters,
> not bury it deep down in Appendix D....
>
> --Yan

Thanks Yan. I do have the ExactModeTimingsDVI on. The nvidia driver is using
the modes I specify. It's just that's they aren't working for 1920x1080,
tried many different combos but no love as of yet. I have working timings
from the windows Nvidia drivier which works great in windows. I did manage
to get a pretty sweet 892x496 mode working today with no overscan, which is
a hell of a lot better than the 720x480 I was running, fonts and everything
look better. Seems to be as good as I am going to get. Everything looks and
works great at this resolution, it just bugs me that I know it can go to
1080i if I get the right settings. Maybe I will just live with it until I
get myself a projector or newer tv. :-)

Kevin