[mythtv-users] capture card setup, audio device options

Mythtified mythtified at extrahip.net
Fri Mar 16 15:47:36 UTC 2007

> On 3/16/07, Alan Calvert <cal at graggrag.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> A naive little question - the only options I'm seeing for audio device
>> selection in capture card setup are the dsp's (ie, no alsa/jack). Is
>> that normal?
>>
>> cheers, Cal
>
> Yes, but it is also a free-text area, meaning you can type whatever
> you'd like in those boxes.

Note the input device for capture cards can only be an OSS device
(/dev/dspX). If you look in the source code you can see there are lots of
classes for frontend audio out (OSS, ALSA, JACK, etc...) but there is only
one input class for backend capture - OSS. If you type an ALSA device in the
free-text field there, you won't get any sound.

If I knew more about combining an AC3 stream as audio with an MP4 I'd take a
crack as adding ALSA to backend capture. I have an STB with COAX/Optical
audio out (DCT2525), and a sound card with COAX/Optical in. Would be nice to
capture S/Video and AC3 rather than just basic stero.