[mythtv-users] Did I mess everything up?

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Fri Mar 16 15:37:38 UTC 2007

Kokor Hekkus wrote:
> I think I was paying with interest for my year without problems
> because at the same time my ISP's link went down, and I couldn't
> consult wiki or forums for some advice. I was also struck with
> overwhelming stupidity combined with being very tired (it was around
> 2AM) and impatient so I thought what the hell I'll just delete
> everything in my /var/log dir and see what happens. Doing that I was
> able to get only 70MB of free space so I guess problem was not in
> logs.

Deleting the log files shouldn't cause any great problems.  You may have
to create some directories, but most logging is done (or should be done)
by syslog, which should create any missing files and dirs
automagically.  (I have not actually tried this, mind you.  But
typically logging just sort of happens.)

Have you tried restarting the machine?  Any specific problems?

--Yan