[mythtv-users] MacOSX frontend & 1080i

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 17:26:02 UTC 2007

On 3/15/07, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin at cs.duke.edu> wrote:
> Andrew Kimpton [awk at awkward.org] wrote:
> > Todd Ignasiak wrote:

> > > Hmm,.   I grep'd my log for that, and it is also returning150.  So, I
> > > looked in videoout_quartz.cpp, and it looks like 150 is the value it
> > > uses if it doesn't get a valid refresh rate:
> > >
> > >     // Find the refresh rate of our screen
> > >     CFDictionaryRef m;
> > >     m = CGDisplayCurrentMode(data->screen);
> > >     data->refreshRate = get_float_CF(m, kCGDisplayRefreshRate);
> > >     if (data->refreshRate == 0.0)    // LCD display?
> > >         data->refreshRate = 150.0;   // Divisible by 25Hz and 30Hz
> > > minimise AV sync waiting
> > >

> > > I'm not sure how that effects playback, but it seems to be the
> > > expected behavior for LCDs, and playback is okay on mine.  So, I would
> > > guess this is not the issue.
> > >
> > I agree - it's not entirely clear what the intent of that 'magic value'
> > is. Remember though that this is only used when CoreGraphics doesn't
> > return a rate - and that only happens for devices such as notebooks and
> > the iMac which have an integral display panel with an entirely digital
> > connection between graphics adaptor and panel. For external LCD Displays
> > connected through a VGA connection kCGDisplayRefreshRate is 'spoofed' to
> > being 60 Hz.
> >
> > I think (from dim memory of practical experiments) that changing that
> > 150 value to 60 makes no difference - in fact it may make so little
> > difference that Andrew G's problems won't go away either. But it might
> > be worth a shot for someone to change it and repeat the build.
> >

> For what it is worth, I changed it from 150 to 60, and my problems
> went away and I have smooth playback for 1080i.  Perhaps 150 is
> violating some other assumption which Myth is making?

So, now with the value set at 60, 1080i playback is smooth on your
iMac's internal display?  And it doesn't require any interlace
detection override or other unusual setting?

I just want to make sure I'm understanding it..    If so,  I'll try to
build a modified frontend and see if I can replicate what you're
seeing at 1080p.