[mythtv-users] Ripping DVD's

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Mar 15 15:30:34 UTC 2007

Brent wrote:
> Have you tried DVDrip?  You might want to check it out as it could help
> with some of this busy work.  I used to use it to rip all of mine and I
> could get all this done and running the encode in about a minute with
> it.  It might be something to look into.

No I haven't...  I'll check it out.

I use this because a) I'm a control freak and I like to think I know
what I am doing, b) I've had bad luck with automatic detection of
telecine v. interlace and frame rates, c) it allows me to crop out
unwanted borders, d) I get DVDs from Europe and Asia, and some of them
have weird settings.  But mostly a).  :-)

There really isn't anything in there that couldn't be automated; someone
who is decent with shell scripting could automate most of it - except
the part where you select the track you want.  I feel pretty comfortable
with vi and it only takes a few minutes to get the rip going.

--Yan