[mythtv-users] Backend freezing

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 15:26:11 UTC 2007

On 3/13/07, Josh <TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com> wrote:
> Morgan McBee wrote:
> > I've been running my Mythbox for a few months with absolutely no
> > problems until a few weeks ago. Everything will work fine for a while,
> > and then after some amount of time (I haven't timed how long exactly,
> > but it's less than a day), the backend will just stop responding (I
> > can telnet into the backend ports but get no response). Can anyone at
> > least point me in the right direction?
> >
> > By the way, I'm running Slackware 10.2 on kernel 2.6.17.13
> > <http://2.6.17.13> with a PVR-150 and ivtv 0.7.0.
> >
> I would suggest either running mythbackend in a terminal window until
> the lock-up happens and maybe the output will give you a hint (maybe it
> tries to delete expired programs and locks up the box) or you could send
> the output to a text file "mythbackend >> /var/logs/myth_errors" and see
> if that captures anything funky.

run mythbackend with
-v all -l /var/log/mythbackend.log

this will log everything mythbackend does to that log file. It will
get *big* so hopefully it won't fill your drive... But once it freezes
you can run
tail -n 500 /var/log/mythbackend.log
(or change 500 to some larger/smaller number as needed)
and see if there is any major error occuring. If not, try it a second
time to see if there is a pattern in the point where it freezes.

you can also open an ssh session and run
tail -f /var/log/mythbackend.log
if you want to follow the backend log in real-time.

you can post the ends of the logs to the list if you don't see
anything that jumps out at you and we'll try and help. At worse you
may have to compile with debuging enabled as per the documentation to
create a backtrace that the dev's can use.

> It seems that someone always has a response 10x better then mine so I
> wouldn't take my advice for granted, wait a few hours/minutes and you'll
> probably get a better response. ;-)

sigh, now I feel bad for doing this!

--
Steve