[mythtv-users] Where are those new 1TB drives?

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Thu Mar 15 14:47:09 UTC 2007

On Thu Mar 15, 2007 at 10:30:11AM -0400, ryan patterson wrote:

> What are you people arguing about.  It is well known that the extra price of
> a SCSI drive is due to the longer warranty not due to vastly better
> hardware.  Anybody who uses the same harddrives (in an array or not) for
> several years knows that they fail.  The difference is with IDE/SATA you are
> usually paying out of pocket for the replacement because the warranty has
> expired.  If you are planing on upgrading your harddrive(s) in the next
> three years or so go with the cheap drives.  If you are buying the drives to
> use for longer then SCSI's warranty is usually worth the extra price.

Don't know what hard drives you're buying but my SATA drives all come
with a 5 year warranty - exactly the same as SCSI drives.  My experience
has been that, short of very expensive setups (e.g. NetApp servers), then
ATA arrays don't hold a candle to SCSI performance-wise (gotta love the
15k RPM spindle speed).  I've certainly not seen any reliability
differences though.

Cheers,
        Robin
--