[mythtv-users] Scaling garbles picture in internal player & xine (was Re: Ripping DVD's)

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Mar 15 13:55:48 UTC 2007

> Jared Greenwald wrote:
>> On 3/14/07, *Yan Seiner* <yan at seiner.com <mailto:yan at seiner.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     I use mencoder (not myth) to rip DVDs, and I get a full-length DVD
>>     into
>>     about 900 MB - 1.4 GB.  Cartoons take a lot more space than live
>>     action.
>>
>>     I do two-pass encoding, and a single DVD takes about 3-6 hours to
>>     complete both passes.
>>

>> Can you elaborate a little more on this process?  A howto on the wiki
>> or something?
>
> Until I get to the wiki, here's a brief synopsis:
>
> 1.  Get and build mplayer/mencoder.  Most likely you will have to build
> from source to get the latest codecs, etc.
>
> 2.  Install lsdvd.
>
> 3.  run lsdvd to get a listing of the tracks.  At this point, I usually
> play the longest tracks to see what's on them.  Some DVDs will have two
> identical tracks, except that one is in 4:3 and the other 16:9.  Or
> sometimes one will be in French and one in English, or some such
> nonsense.  Look through the DVD and play any track that looks
> interesting.  Pay attention to the sound as well; sometimes the primary
> track is a french or spanish dubbing, or 2 channel stereo.
>
> 4.  run mplayer dvd://[my track] -vf cropdetect ; mplayer will print out
> its idea of a bounding box so you can trim out the black border.  This
> can change so make sure you skip ahead far enough to get past the titles
> and so on.  Read the manpage for mencoder on that as well.

    Is there a good way to do this (an example perhaps) that will
preserve all of the content of a vob file. Ultimately, what I am looking
for is something that would effectively transcode the video in a vob
file and leave everything else (especially the subtitles) alone.

    H.264 transcoding might be cool for something like this.

    Another issue I have is that zooming into xine is off center (the
picture floats to the top of the screen) and the bottom of the screen
gets garbled and the subtitles aren't usable anymore. There are a number
of non-progressive DVD's that I would like to zoom in on in MythVideo.
I have tried both the internal player and my prefered external player (xine)
and both give me the same results. I also get the same results when
trying to zoom in while playing recordings.

    I don't have this problem on the backend.

    They're both running the same release of ubuntu & are running copies
of myth built from source. They're running the same hardwware. The only
real difference is the fact that one is hooked up to an LCD monitor and
the other is hooked up to a DLP projection TV.

     Although both are connected via RGB. The TV is being used as a monitor.

     Any suggestions on what my problem might be? How to debug better?