[mythtv-users] Where are those new 1TB drives?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 12:56:35 UTC 2007

> As an aside to your own experiences, the links Yeechang posted DO
> contradict that point.
>
> The quote "we observe little difference in replacement rates between
> SCSI, FC and SATA drives" is from a paper which "looked at 100,000
> drives, including HPC clusters at Los Alamos and the Pittsburgh
> Supercomputer Center, as well as several unnamed internet services
> providers". If these are not environments able to stress hard-drives,
> then I'd be interested to hear of environments that do.

Are we still talking about the bigger bearings better quality
components ...? I have one theory why enterprise SCSI drives could be
designed better and still fail at similar rates. One thing to consider
is that most enterprise SCSI drives operate at 10K or 15K rpm while
the only SATA drive to operate at 10K rpm that I know of is the raptor
which is designed and priced more similar to the enterprise SCSI
drives than the consumer SATA drives.