[mythtv-users] VIA EPIA EX-series Mini-ITX Mainboard

Kevin Slater kevin.slater at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 12:27:28 UTC 2007

Wim,

I do believe that most everyone who are using MythTV with via EPIA
motherboards are using either the Unichrome or the Openchrome drivers as
that's what's documented in the setup guides, etc. I used the via drivers a
couple of years back and you did have to run as root to be able to take
advantage of the accelerated features. Perhaps that's changed, but the only
way to know for sure would be to switch to their drivers again. Since that
involves a fair amount of setup, and considering that my 2 frontend/backend
EPIA systems are constantly in use and work pretty well the existing
drivers, I won't be able to help with this discovery process. I am
interested though.

...Kevin

On 3/13/07, Wim Fokkens <wimfokkens at planet.nl> wrote:

>  I read here
>

> http://wiki.openchrome.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=The+Different+Unichrome+family+display+drivers
>

> The proprietary drivers from VIA contain support for most chipsets, mpeg2
> and mpeg4 acceleration, but are of low quality and often unstable. In
> addition, the 3D driver leaves your system open for attack by malicious
> clients, and furthermore, applications that accelerate mpeg2 and mpeg4 must
> be run as root, which is a *very* bad idea if they contain vulnerabilities
> (and they do). Avoid using these drivers unless you know what you are really
> doing! The drivers can be found here <http://www.viaarena.com>. Also,
> these drivers are distribution specific and a driver for different
> distribution other than yours might not work.
>

> This of course sounds very bad. But this page is not very up to date.
>

> last modification: Wednesday 03 of May, 2006
>

> The last driver from via are very new
>
> Version - 0.81  14 February 2007
>

> So are all these issue's still true, are the drivers still not stable and
> do I still have to run as root to make use off the hardware acceleration.
>

> Wim

-- "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
-- Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)