[mythtv-users] Where are those new 1TB drives?

ian at duckland.org ian at duckland.org
Wed Mar 14 22:38:32 UTC 2007

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, jedi at mishnet.org wrote:

>     That really doesn't do anything to contradict the point I
> was making about how in some environments the distinction between
> different classes of technology are moot since you aren't really
> able to stress any of it.

And why not?  By profession, my title is Senior UNIX/Linux Systems
Administrator.  I deal with "enterprise-class" hardware every day.  When
talking about the filesizes and filesystem sizes involved in a decent
MythTV installation, along with the IO throughput necessary for watching
HD, commflagging, transcoding, and nuvexporting... often ALL AT ONCE...
you suddenly find that you're stressing system and network resources at
home 24x7x365.25.

The differences are generally those of scale - number of machines, number
of simultaneous applications, etc.  At home, with a Myth installation, one
tends to run more with less, so I'd disagree with you on that score...

 	-Ian Forde
 	RHCE (RH7, RHEL4), SCSA, SCNA, SCDME, CCSA, CCSE