[mythtv-users] Ripping DVD's

Tom Greer trgreer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 21:31:17 UTC 2007

 Bruce Nordstrand wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what the difference would be in both size/quality
> would be with ripping a DVD with Perfect, Medium or Good?

The wiki knows!  From http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MythDVD:

    *  Perfect : Available for all Discs. Makes an exact copy of the MPEG
file
    * Excellent : 4:3 and 16:9 non-letterboxed Only. Transcode the MPEG file
at a high bitrate. Resultant files size is approx 2GB
    * Good : All Other . Transcode the MPEG file at average bitrate.
Resultant file size is approx 800MB

By the way, if you are serious about ripping your DVD collection, then you
will need a much larger drive or drives.

I have over 1 terabyte using LVM, and I an considering adding another 500 gb
drive sometime soon.

Tom