[mythtv-users] Ripping DVD's

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 14 11:17:48 UTC 2007

Bruce Nordstrand wrote:
> I started ripping my collection of DVD's to hard drive today but space
> is being eaten at a phenomenal rate.
>
> Can anyone tell me what the difference would be in both size/quality
> would be with ripping a DVD with Perfect, Medium or Good?
>
> For example I have been ripping at Perfect and "Lord of the Rings - The
> Two Towers", for instance, is 7.0Gb. As you can see, my ripping is
> filling up my 80Gb drive quite quickly. I know I am going to need more
> eventually but I didn't think so few DVD's would take up so much space...
>
> Cheers
> Bruce

AFAIK the perfect is a bit-for-bit copy of your dvd. The other options
are for transcoding the file to a smaller .nuv (compressed) file.  The
different settings are for the amount of compression with smaller size =
worse picture quality. Try each setting and see which one provides "good
enough" picture quality. You should be able to reduce those files to 1-2
gig each.

PS - If you also use this to record tv, you will need a new drive
sooner, rather than later :(