[mythtv-users] Lag while browsing over network?

Josh TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com
Tue Mar 13 03:07:39 UTC 2007

William Pettersson wrote:
> So, I've recently implemented my latest remote frontend (connected to
> 27" LCD TV, finally my first frontend that is only a myth frontend).
> However, I feel that the frontend is laggy.  That is, if I'm browsing
> through the menus (just menus, and any menu from file browsers to
> setting up videos), everything has a 1-2 second lag.  Videos play fine
> over my network (100mbit), and I've tested it and can sustain 10.2MB/s.
> It's an AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+ with 256MB of RAM.  I'll admit it's a
> bit low on RAM, but it's currently (idling since I'm at work) and using
> just on 93MB
>
> enigma at mythbox ~ $ free -m
>               total       used       free     shared    buffers    cached
> Mem:           249        154         95          0          4        56
> -/+ buffers/cache:         93        156
> Swap:          980        325        654
>
> As to hard drive speeds, I get the following
> mythbox enigma # hdparm -tT /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda:
>   Timing cached reads:   1476 MB in  2.00 seconds = 736.31 MB/sec
>   Timing buffered disk reads:  102 MB in  3.05 seconds =  33.49 MB/sec
>
> Not magnificent, but decent enough (I'd think) for running mythtv.
>
> The only slightly degraded performance factor that I can see is the
> video card, which is a 9600Pro running on the open-source Radeon drivers
> (ATI ones are crashing as usual for me).
>
> So, anyone know of any reason why this frontend would have slight lag
> while navigating menus?  My other frontend that is on the 100mbit
> network is noticably faster, and the only main differences are that is a
> beefier machine.  Any ideas?
>

> Also, anyone have a script that can take "screenshots" of movies, then
> set the screenshots as covers?  I've got a bunch of video clips (music
> videos) that I'd like to do this too.
>

> William

I actually have a similar issue, only in reverse... the beefier machine
is the one with the lag. Both are connected at 1000/full to the same 8
port GB switch. One is a Dell and the other is a VIA, the VIA lags and
the Dell doesn't... neither are running a backend. I guess I have just
learned to deal with it... my NFS and MySQL settings are "optimal" so
it's a weird (not crippling) issue... I'll follow this thread and hope
you figure something out.

--
Josh