[mythtv-users] My MySql hell :-)

Damian Surr damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Mon Mar 12 16:56:31 UTC 2007

Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 12/03/07, Damian Surr <damian at gingermagic.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Peter,
>>
>> I'll try that out later. I wondered myself if the 'apt-get remove
>> --purge packagename' just removed the program and not the files, leaving
>> me with the same problem. I was dubious about deleting mysql manually
>> though in case other things were depending on it. Uninstalling
>> mysql-server with the package manager went ok, but when I thought about
>> getting rid of other mysql parts, the program told me that there were
>> lots of dependencies (like amock etc) and it looked like it was going to
>> remove all of those if i clicked continue, so I didn't :-)
>>

> MySQL stores its users/passwords/privilege information in the mysql
> database, located in /var/lib/mysql/mysql/. Removing this as Peter
> suggested should allow a fresh reinstall with back-to-default
> passwords.
>
> Nick

Thanks you two. Between you that's given me the best hope for success
I've had in a while. I'll try it later. If it doesn't work, I my be
asking questions about new hardware because I'm close to attacking it
all with a sledge hammer!

I assume I use:
sudo rm /var/lib/mysql/mysql/
to delete that directory?