[mythtv-users] The demise of analog cable...

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 21:23:33 UTC 2007

> I heard that my cable company (Comcast), as well as most others, are in
> the process of phasing out analog cable with the intent to support only
> digital cable.  Since so may of us depend on PVR capture cards and analog
> cable, it looks like we are pretty much screwed, unless I missed something.
> Firewire capture seems flaky at best, and when it does work, we are at the
> mercy of the cable company to leave the content unencrypted.  There is
> always OTA HD capture, but that just delivers a handful of channels.
>
> Is the day coming when we will have to scrap our Myth boxes and use those
> crappy DVRs provided by the cable companies?

Nah.  For SD capture, you can always grab a plain-jane digital tuner and use
IR blasters (or, if you're lucky, the serial port) to control it from Myth.
Sure, the cabling can be a bit messy, but it works like a charm.

In my case, I have two Motorola 2524s connected to a pair of PVR-150s driven
by irblaster.info blasters.  Works perfectly, and I get full access to both
the analog and digital tier.

Brett.