[mythtv-users] The demise of analog cable...

Chris Mcnally mcnallychris at pobox.com
Sun Mar 11 20:33:39 UTC 2007

> From: "Larry K" <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com>
>
> I heard that my cable company (Comcast), as well as most others, are in the
> process of phasing out analog cable with the intent to support only digital
> cable.  Since so may of us depend on PVR capture cards and analog cable, it
> looks like we are pretty much screwed, unless I missed something.  Firewire
> capture seems flaky at best, and when it does work, we are at the mercy of
> the cable company to leave the content unencrypted.  There is always OTA HD
> capture, but that just delivers a handful of channels.
>
> Is the day coming when we will have to scrap our Myth boxes and use those
> crappy DVRs provided by the cable companies?
I just got digital cable from Time Warner Cable (Brooklyn NY), but my cable box is for a standard TV. Therefore I can run coax from the cable box to my Hauppauge PVR 250. Until all TV's are digital I would think this would be supported. My cable box is an SA3250, and also has composite audio out and s-video out which can be used by the 250 to capture.

I wonder what box Time Warner would have given me if I had a HD TV? Would there be composite out or s-video out for a VCR or PVR 250? What if I put the coax directly from the wall into my PVR 250? would I be able to tune channels now that I have "digital cable"?

chris