[mythtv-users] Custom Schedule Help

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sun Mar 11 19:26:43 UTC 2007

Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> http://drew.mykitchentable.net/Temp/Joe_Brown.html

That was illuminating.

>> Yes. I think what you really want is to tell myth that both of
>> these channels carry "KMAX". That will say that these are both
>>from the same station and only one KMAX show at 12:00 then one
>> at 12:30 need to be recorded. You can simply set an All rule or
>> Channel for KMAX and it should just work. Which channel is chosen
>> first then becomes the question.
>
> Yes, you have guessed correctly again.  :)  So are you saying that I
> should edit the sourcid field of the channels table so that my digital

I should have specified that the callsign field for chanid
2311 should be edited to change it from "KMAX-1" to "KMAX"
so that it matches the callsign for chanid 1031. Do not edit
the sourceid.

> stations match the regular local stations when programming is
> identical?  I think that *IS* what I really want.  Is there anything I
> need to do other than edit the table directly?

The only change you need to make is to match up the "callsign"s
where there are channels (frequencies) from both sources that
carry programming from the same station (building). I'm guessing
that there are more stations like KMAX where you receive the
station from both DirecTV and ATSC channels.

You can edit the callsign, and most other attributes of any
channel in the mythtv-setup Channel Editor. In current SVN
you can use mythfrontend to go to TV Settings->Recording
Priorities->Channel Priorities and press SELECT on any channel
to edit it's parameters. Mythweb also has a page for editing
channels.

> It helps a lot. In fact, your suggestion answers another question I
> have.  I've been wondering if there was a way to prefer one tuner over
> another for individual shows.  For example, when I know the show is not
> in HD, I'd rather have the DirecTV tuner record the show as it doesn't
> take up nearly as much disk space as the pcHDTV tuner.  I think the
> above will solve that "want".

Right. This is the point of the CNN Shuttle Launch examples
near the end. Not only can you set a rule to prefer the HD
input if you expect the show to be in HD but you can let the
zap2it info determine if any show from the station is HD and
should be recorded from the HD input or if you can save
space and record from DirecTV.

--  bjm