[mythtv-users] Where to put the power..

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Sun Mar 11 18:10:55 UTC 2007

On Sunday 11 March 2007 01:28, Rich West wrote:
> Simple question (or so I think)..
>
> Is it better to have a dramatically better processor in your FEs or in
> the BE?  And is the answer different if you are doing SD vs HD?

As with so many things, the answer to both questions is "it depends." You
might want to think of it in terms of the CPU power required to do certain
processes. As a very rough guideline, using Intel CPU speeds:

- SD encoding with hardware encoding card: ~50MHz
- Digital TV (HD) capture: ~100MHz
- SD playback with XvMC: ~700MHz
- SD playback without XvMC: ~1000MHz
- SD encoding with frame grabber card: ~1000MHz
- SD transcoding in 1:1 time (1 hour to do 1 hour): ~1500MHz
- HD playback with XvMC: ~2800MHz
- HD playback without XvMC: ~3500MHz
- HD transcoding in 1:1 time: ~4000MHz (??)

Some of these estimates are VERY rough; they depend on factors such as the
recording options used, driver efficiency, etc. Still, I believe they're
reasonable first-pass numbers, with the possible exception of the HD
transcoding value (I've done very little of that). Also, transcoding can be
done on systems with any CPU speed; it just takes longer on slower CPUs.

For your frontend, locate the stream type you'll be playing back and get a CPU
in that range or faster. (XvMC is a feature supported by some video cards and
drivers, such as nVidia-based cards using nVidia's binary drivers.) For the
backend, locate the type of encoding you'll be doing, multiply by the number
of tuners, and get a system with at least that much power. If you expect to
do any transcoding at all, add in enough CPU power to do that in a time you
consider acceptable, or take the larger of the recording and transcoding
values if you can live with transcoding only when recording isn't occurring.
For a combined frontend/backend system, add all these values together. Note
that transcoding is usually required for burning DVDs, unless you use a
hardware MPEG-2 encoding card and record in the right format and bitrate to
begin with.

Depending on your choices, you might need more power in either the frontend or
the backend. For instance, if you want three tuners, you'll need more backend
power than frontend power if you use software-encoding (frame-grabber)
tuners, but more frontend power than backend power if you use
hardware-encoding cards and if you don't need extremely zippy transcoding
speeds.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com