[mythtv-users] Where to put the power..

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 16:32:38 UTC 2007

On 3/11/07, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com> wrote:
> Simple question (or so I think)..
>
> Is it better to have a dramatically better processor in your FEs or in
> the BE?  And is the answer different if you are doing SD vs HD?
>
> Just trying to get some of the basics down as I consider adding HD to my
> lineup. :)

This would be better answered with some information on what processors
you have already.

For an HD frontend, you can either go the XvMC route or not. XvMC has
some issues, and if you have or can have the the processing power in
the frontend to go without then it is suggested to do so. The same can
be said for SD, though the cpu requirements are significantly lower.

For the backend the story is similar, HD capture requires a bit more
processing power that SD, though the increment in power is not as
large as is required for the frontend. Commercial flagging does
require a lot more processing power to complete in a reasonable time.

You can learn a lot about what is required by searching through the
list on gossamer this is a *very* common thread.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!