[mythtv-users] 7.1 channel audio

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Mar 10 18:31:42 UTC 2007

On 03/10/2007 11:42 AM, Al McIntosh wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> From what I understand, these threads all suggest configuring ALSA to
>>> duplicate front channel sounds for output to the unused channels. IE: my
>>> LS and RS channels.
>>>
>>> I will still be missing the actual sounds that are intended for LS and
>>> RS channels.
>> Show me a source you're getting with 7.1 channels (other than
>> DVD's--which you've said you have working), and I'll mention the other
>> possible approach (#1104).
> Okay, my AMP can up convert a 5.1 to 7.1, which typically works.

And if you read the (entire) thread I referenced, you'll see that it
does so using very similar algorithms (although--at least according to
Franco--doing it yourself with ALSA provides much higher quality audio
than using the amp's internal "upconvert, and I'm guessing you have the
same amp he does).

>  IE:
> when I watch a TV show on TV with my Satalite receiver connected to my
> AMP via RCA cables, I receive 7.1 channels of audio. If I playback the
> same show recorded in myth, my LS and RS are as I have mentioned unused.
> So you're saying I have 2 choices, use ALSA to duplicate channels for
> playback or compile an #1104  patched version of Myth?  So the 1104 does
> that also duplicate channels?

Actually, I haven't explained about #1104.  You'd have to write the 7.1
channel support for it, because it doesn't yet have it--therefore, you
could decide how to invent the non-existant information (if you have
some approach that's better than just duplicating channels).

Mike