[mythtv-users] Interesting Cringely article on possible Apple PVRs

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Fri Mar 9 23:08:04 UTC 2007

Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> says:
> http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007/pulpit_20070308_001806.html

Bah. Besides being a liar and a thief, Mark Stephens has a horrible
track record in terms of predictions that actually come true. Reading
this column is almost a guarantee that it'll never happen.

That said, I am intrigued by the notion of a $50 super
MPEG4-encoder/decoder chip. Presumably, such a beast would be a step
above what's in the garden-variety standard-definition so popular
amongst MythTV users, right?[1] In other words, could it encode HDTV
resolutions in realtime?

[1] I ask this because I've never had to deal with any of them myself
(for which I am very, very glad every time I see the words "PVR-xxx"
or "ivtv" in a message).