[mythtv-users] Fonts unreadable in GDM/Xorg with Ubuntu

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Mar 9 17:28:43 UTC 2007

On 03/09/2007 12:09 PM, Willy Boyd wrote:
> On 3/8/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
>> Yeah.  Funny, though, with Myth 0.21, you'll stop specifying DPI and go
>> back to DisplaySize.  :)  In 0.21, the DPI is irrelevant, but the aspect
>> ratio remains important, and although you can specify the aspect ratio
>> with DPI, it requires the inverse mathematical dance that you used to do
>> to get DPI with DisplaySize (unless you have square pixels--in which
>> case it's just "pick a number", but determining if you're using square
>> pixels requires some math, so...).  With DisplaySize, specifying aspect
>> ratio is as easy as "pick a number and multiply by aspect."
> I'm curious now, because I am running latest SVN (well, as of a few
> days ago).  I have heard about changes about not needing DPI, but I
> wasn't sure if those are in yet.

The changes are in SVN trunk.  They will not go into 0.20-fixes SVN.

>   Should I go back to DisplaySize?
> xdpyinfo shows me 100dpi so I assumed I'm fine -- or am I missing out
> somehow in my SVN-Myth experience? :)
Your Myth experience will be completely unaffected by any changes you
make.  Your non-Myth experiences (xterm, Firefox, xine, MPlayer, ...)
may be better if you change the DisplaySize such that fonts chosen are
to your liking.  It will be especially nice for things like xine, which
doesn't allow specifying a font/font size for OSD (although it does for
subtitles).  Basically, it's now the exact opposite of
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/200631#200631 (feel
free to change DisplaySize to fix font sizing).

Just make sure your DisplaySize uses the right aspect for your display.
I.e. for a 16:9 TV use something like "DisplaySize  480 270" or for 4:3
use something like "DisplaySize  200 150".

Or, if you know you have square pixels, though, you could just change
your DPI value to something else (i.e. 'Option "DPI" "133 x 133"').

Mike