[mythtv-users] Slightly OT? MPEG-2 Encoding Quality

Greg Kettmann greg at kettmann.com
Fri Mar 9 16:10:17 UTC 2007

I'm still pondering the many choices for building a MythTV system.  My
first choice for capture card was a PVR-150 but they're no longer in any
local stores and seem to be being phased out.  The PVR-350 seems like
another good choice and it's got the added advantage of having a Video
(S-Video and Composite) out capability.  This leads to a slightly
different question.

Is there any difference in the quality of the MPEG-2 encoders?

One of the side functions of the MythTV box will be to take my old tapes
(family / camcorder stuff) and convert them to DVD.  There was a thread,
a week or so ago, discussing software codecs for better quality.  As a
general rule, are there differences in the MPEG-2 encoders in the cards
(IE a more premium card gives better output = the 350 over the 150 or
250)?  Are there noticeable differences?  How about using a software
codec versus hardware?

I don't know if it matters but input will be either composite, through a
VCR (for a few) or S-Video from a Sony DV camcorder (both Hi-8 and DV).

Thank you, GGK