[mythtv-users] Software RAID (was: Where are those new 1TB drives?)

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 22:49:20 UTC 2007

On 3/8/07, MacNean Tyrrell <dardack at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/8/07, Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > <snip>
> > > I know i just sent an email about Raid, but what is a FreeNAS server?
> >
> > FreeNAS is a FreeBSD distribution that is supposed to similar to a
> > plug and play NAS solution in the fashion that KnoppMyth is a plug and
> > play MythTV solution.
> >
> > http://www.freenas.org/
> > FreeNAS is a free NAS (Network-Attached Storage) server, supporting:
> > CIFS (samba), FTP, NFS, AFP, RSYNC, iSCSI protocols, S.M.A.R.T., local
> > user authentication, Software RAID (0,1,5) with a Full WEB
> > configuration interface. FreeNAS takes less than 32MB once installed
> > on Compact Flash, hard drive or USB key.
> > The minimal FreeBSD distribution, Web interface, PHP scripts and
> > documentation are based on M0n0wall.
>

> I'll go to the site when i get home later.  So i can theoretically run this
> on a thumb drive? with the RAID array serving as just a storage over the
> network in my house? and mythtv can store to this?  And theoretically
> anything else? (ie can windows write/read to it also?)  And with HD
> recordings, how fast would it need, GiG?

as mentioned earlier you could do this with Linux as well.  so you
could theoretically put together a linux distro that runs from cd and
not even need the os on a hard drive.  i'm not sure if FreeBSD gives
you the ability to do live cd's, but i would imagine that they will in
the near future if you can't already...