[mythtv-users] Fonts unreadable in GDM/Xorg with Ubuntu

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Mar 8 22:36:07 UTC 2007

On 03/08/2007 05:22 PM, Willy Boyd wrote:
> On 3/8/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
>> I wasn't saying your approach is wrong, only that there are more details
>> at the link provided.

> Understood.  And it's a great point -- I should have taken time to
> clarify those options would only, potentially, help with an NVIDIA
> card and a recent proprietary driver.  Someone less patient could come
> along and see that and think it's the end-all, be-all way :)

I'm also not saying it's your responsibility to provide the extra info.
You did answer the question--which means you've volunteered your time to
contribute--so you've done A Good Thing (and, thanks for contributing,
BTW).  I just wanted the additional info to be there along with yours.

> I've never liked the mathematical dance that DisplaySize made me go
> through to get right at 100dpi; it always seemed like trial and error.
>  Had to go through it again when I got a new display and switched
> resolutions to 720p.  So I was pretty excited to get to specify it

Yeah.  Funny, though, with Myth 0.21, you'll stop specifying DPI and go
back to DisplaySize.  :)  In 0.21, the DPI is irrelevant, but the aspect
ratio remains important, and although you can specify the aspect ratio
with DPI, it requires the inverse mathematical dance that you used to do
to get DPI with DisplaySize (unless you have square pixels--in which
case it's just "pick a number", but determining if you're using square
pixels requires some math, so...).  With DisplaySize, specifying aspect
ratio is as easy as "pick a number and multiply by aspect."

(Technically, if you've properly specified a 100DPI pitch with proper
aspect ratio, you can continue to use the same DPI setting and--since
DPI is irrelevant to Myth 0.21--Myth won't care/notice.  However, by
changing the pitch to an appropriate value, you can improve the look of
things like xterm and Firefox and ...)

Mike