[mythtv-users] MB fried - suggestions to replace or upgrade?

Shane Hickey shane at howsyournetwork.com
Thu Mar 8 19:05:27 UTC 2007

Hello all.  I've been running a frontend/backend system using an Epia
M10000 motherboard in a Casetronic C138 case
(http://www.shentech.com/cac1blcomica2.html).  The case was _just_ big
enough for my slim DVD, laptop hard drive and PVR350 capture card.  I
was also using the PVR350 for display.

Last night, 3/4 of the way through Lost, the machine rebooted and it's never come back.  I can't get any video via the onboard video card either, so something tells me the motherboard has bit the dust.  So, that's why I'm here.

I could just replace the M10000 board and be done with it.  But, I expect it to die again.  It just gets so blasted hot in that tiny case.  Also, some things have been nagging me and I think that now is the time to upgrade.  Here are my likes/dislikes with my old setup

Likes:
1) Quiet and small, no need for a backend system.
2) Hrm... that might be it?

Dislikes:
1) Case gets insanely hot
2) I really want to have at least 2 capture cards so I can watch liveTV while recording.  If I get another, should I get another 350 or is there something better?
3) Ideally I'd like to have my video out using another card.  I would get lock-ups when I would FF at 3X while recording another show.  Also, the display of the PVR350 is pretty crappy.
4) Room for more drives would be nice
5) More CPU would rule.  I've been running mythfrontend on my dual-opteron workstation to archive shows to DVD because the conversion kills the tiny processor in the M10000

So, I guess I'm saying that I want more, MORE, MORE!  But, my concern is that more will mean bigger and louder.  Bigger I can probably deal with, but louder I can't.  So, maybe it's time to split my frontend away from the backend?  So, if that's the case, what's the tiniest frontend I can make that will still play DVDs without stuttering?

I realize that I'm sort of all over the place here.  But, I just want to see if anyone has some general guidance.

Thanks!

Shane

--
Shane Hickey <shane at howsyournetwork.com>: Network/System Consultant