[mythtv-users] Fonts unreadable in GDM/Xorg with Ubuntu

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Mar 8 16:33:39 UTC 2007

On 03/08/2007 10:04 AM, Willy Boyd wrote:
> On 3/8/07, jason maxwell <decepticon at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ...until I try to start GDM, where the font is so small I cant tell if
>> it's supposed to be text, or the screen has dust on it. So,
>> hardware-wise, I've got my Nvidia 6200 PCI-e (latest proprietary
>> drivers) attached via DVI cable -> HDMI adapter to my Toshiba 720p DLP
>> HDTV. Maybe it has something to do with EDID setting DPI or something?
>> I will do some Googling today, but thought I'd ping the list first.
>> You guys always point me in the right direction.
>> Thanks,
>> -J
>>

> A couple things you can check.  Run "xdpyinfo | grep resolution" and
> you should see your current running DPI.  If it's not 100, that's
> likely your problem.  I found that I had to use these two options in
> my Device section of xorg.conf to force 100dpi:
>
> Option  "UseEdidDpi"  "False"
> Option  "DPI"  "100 x 100"
If you're not using an NVIDIA card with recent drivers, though, the
above will likely do nothing.

See
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Q:_All_my_fonts_look_like_they_are_the_wrong_sizes.2C_how_can_I_correct_this.3F
for a description of how to properly set DPI/DisplaySize.

Mike