[mythtv-users] realtek r1000 driver not included

jason maxwell decepticon at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 16:21:02 UTC 2007

I assembled my new mythbox last night, and tried to install using
knoppmyth. When it came time to set up my HDHR, nothing was found.
Turns out there is no included module for my onboard gig LAN, Realtek
RTL8111B. I downloaded the driver from the Realtek website, burned to
CDR, unpacked it, but it wouldnt build. The kernel sources arent
included either, so I couldnt rebuild to include the module. I did a
quick install of Slackware 11, my preferred distro (I know, i'm old
school, leave me alone). That also does not include the r1000 driver
in the default kernel. WTH? I was under the impression that it was a
pretty commonly used chipset. I think most Nforce based boards use it.

I'm not really looking for advice or anything here, just wanted to
complain a bit. I Googled and found some notes on hacking the
Makefiles to get the module built. If that doenst work, I'll build a
new kernel (which I will do anyway). It's always something, but man,
what a PITA when you cant get online with the machine you're trying to
fix. *sigh*
-J