[mythtv-users] Is someone using VLC to convert mythtv recordings into iPod or another format?

Jon Larson jtlarson at u.washington.edu
Wed Mar 7 15:48:53 UTC 2007

Sven Nielsen wrote:
> Martijn Morriën schrieb:
> > I'm trying to get myth2ipod working on my Fedora Core 4 (Jarod Wilson) MythTv
> > 0.20 machine. All installs well, but when ffmpeg starts converting it fails.
> > I'm trying to fix this, but that is another story....
> >
> > Instead of fixing my problem I saw that you can also use VLC to convert video
> > files.
> > VLC has rpm's available for easy installment and there is some good
> > documentation at: http://wiki.videolan.org/Ipod
> > <http://wiki.videolan.org/Ipod> for my conversion case. (I need to convert
> > from PVR500: mpeg2 to mp4)
> >
> > I was wondering if there are MythTv users out there that use VLC to convert
> > videos as a user task and what their experience is/was?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Martijn
> >

> During the last weeks nuvexport (which uses mythtranscode and ffmpeg) did not
> work using the debian testing packages from www.debian-multimedia.org.
> Communication between mythtranscode and ffmpeg was not working and ffmpeg failed
> to get any data from the FIFOs mythtranscode set up. This problem was fixed a
> few days ago with updated packages. This might be the reason for your problems
> with ffmpeg?
>
> I do not recommend using vlc for transcoding. Quality is worse since it aims on
> providing realtime transcoding for live streaming. Furthermore, ffmpeg gives you
> a lot more codec options to control the transcoding process.
>
> If myth2ipod won´t work try the following or a similar line (i do not know the
> exact codec resolution requirements of an ipod) with directly with any avi / mpg
> / nuv file:
>
> /ffmpeg -i <some_avi_mpg_nuv_file> -vcodec mpeg4 -vtag MP4V -b 300 -g 300 -bf 2
> -s 352x288 -acodec mp2 -ab 80 -ac 2 output.avi/
>
> If you can succesfully transcode and watch a video this way, file a bug for
> myth2ipod, or, just wait a few days or weeks until somebody else recognizes and
> corrects the error.

To follow up on what Sven said, you can also use the pdatranscode script
as an alternative to myth2ipod, pdatranscode has some pre-defined
encoding profiles for mencoder, and does not require nuvexport.

If you want to use similar encoding settings to what you would get from
myth2ipod+nuvexport+MP4Box, just insert this into the
"transcodercommands" section and set the "transcoder" command in the
config to 'ffmpeg' :

  'ffmpeg' => '/usr/bin/nice -n19 ffmpeg -v quiet -y -i {infile} -aspect
1.33333333333333 -r 29.97 -croptop 10 -cropright 14 -cropbottom 10
-cropleft  14 -s 320x240  -vcodec mpeg4 -bit_rate 300kb -flags
+4mv+trell -aic 2 -cmp 2 -subcmp 2 -acodec aac -ar 32000 -async 1 -ac 1
-ab 64 \'{outfile}.temp.mp4\' && MP4Box -add {outfile}.temp.mp4
{outfile} && rm {outfile}.temp.mp4',

I've modified the pdatranscode script for my own use and added the
podcast functions from myth2ipod so that I get the more advanced
file-management functions available in pdatranscode+the RSS feed
functions from myth2ipod.

The basic script is here:
http://www.tux.org/~peterw/linux/pdatranscode.pl.txt

Jon