[mythtv-users] Fibre/Ethernet based IP based DVB - has anyone ever done this?

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 14:57:40 UTC 2007

On 3/6/07, MacNean Tyrrell <dardack at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was curious about this type of thing.  I'm in the USA, and Verizon is
> rolling out FIOS, and i've seen some discussion on this, is FIOS the same
> type of IPTV, or totally different?  I would love to capture directly over
> the Ethernet.  Sidenote, do those streams come in SD, HD, anyone know?

The Verizon Fios system is not IPTV.  They convert the fiber optic signal to
analog basic cable & QAM digital cable at your house and feed it to your TV
over coax cable like traditional cable service.  This is good and bad.  It
means you can use all the same hardware that is designed for traditional
cable with Fios (i.e. your TV's internal tuner will stiff work).  But their
system wont allow direct recording off the network.

IPTV is capable of both SD and HD streams.  My IPTV provider doesn't have HD
capabilities yet though.  Not too big a deal since I get all the major
networks in HD over the air.  But I don't get any HD discovery, ESPN, TNT,
etc.