[mythtv-users] XBOX Frontend

Phill Wiggin alamar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 18:25:28 UTC 2007

On 3/6/07, David Lynam <t00cool2001 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry about my stupidy :)

Hey, no problem. We all have to learn sometime. :)

Okay, I'm working from memory here. I built a dedicated frontend some
time ago and haven't messed w/ xbmcmythtv for a while, so bear with
me.

First off, all the info you're able to get (Recordings listings,
Upcoming listings, etc) are coming directly from the backend via the
Myth protocol. Since you're able to see these things, your connection
to your backend is obviously fine.  However, XBMCMythtv can only see
your recordings if they're shared via Samba on the backend.  (The same
is true of LiveTV... xbmcmythtv needs Samba access to the ringbuffers
that LiveTV uses.)

Samba will run on you backend machine and needs to be
installed/configured based on your backend's distrobution.  For
instance, with Gentoo: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_Samba

You don't need to worry about "client setup" instructions for your
distro, since xbmcmythtv has it's own setup.  As I recall, it looks
something like:
smb://%h/share

%h is the hostname or IP address of your backend machine.

On my network, I had to put in the actual IP address of my backend, my
config string looked like:

smb://192.168.0.250/mythrecordings

Where "192.168.0.250 is my backend's IP and "mythrecordings" is the
name of the share I set up that holds my Mythtv recording directory.

Hope this helps get you started.
--PhillW