[mythtv-users] Upgrade old or cut my losses and buy new?

matthew.garman at gmail.com matthew.garman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 13:57:48 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 05:14:27PM -0500, David Murphy wrote:
> I'm using a Sempron 3400 w/ 256KB L2 cache on the Asus M2NPV-VM in
> my frontend. I'm outputting HD from my air2pc card to a 27" SD tv
> at the moment.  Initially HD was unwatchable.  XvMC gave
> Then I discovered the xorg.conf device option of "UseEvents"
> "True" for the onboard Nvidia graphics and now everything is more
> or less peachy.  XvMC is still unusable due to audio issues but
> I'm still seeing the occasional jerk or stutter, mostly on scene
> pans but I don't think this has anything to do with the cpu as the
> cpu is always at least %25 idle when they occur and many people

I have fairly similar hardware---it's the Abit NF-M2 nView
motherboard, but it's practically the same as the M2NPV-VM.

Anyway, thank you for posting the tidbit about "UseEvents" "true".
Made all the difference between XvMC working or not.

How bad is the "occasional jerk or stutter"?  I struggled so long to
get XvMC to work, saw your post, got it working, but human movement
is still "unnatural".  The audio and video is synced, the picture
looks great, but occasionally, some movement looks like it slows
down briefly.  It's most noticeable when *people* are moving (such
as a head turn) because it makes them look robotic.

Although, the testing has only been with one source so far, NBC's
"The Office" in HD recorded OTA with a pchdtv 5500.

Matt