[mythtv-users] nVidia OverScan with VGA cable

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Tue Mar 6 01:11:15 UTC 2007

On 4 Mar 2007, at 22:41, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Some TVs will always do overscan, and it can't be disabled. I'm told
>> that the ability to do 1:1 mapping without overscan is common on
>> current 1920 x 1080 LCDs,
>
> Only if they're sold as "monitors."  If sold as TV's, they do
> overscan.
> (Generally, the monitors also happen to be 16:10 format, not 16:9.)
>
> So, you only get 2 of 3 with a TV:
>     - 1:1 pixel mapping
>     - full screen
>     - full resolution
>
> Take your pick...

I respectfully dispute your contention.

I returned this week a GTVL42W15HD and can confirm that it did 1:1
pixel-mapping, at full screen & at full resolution over DVI. The
reason I returned it was the well-known problem of a noisy
("buzzing") backlight. I had hoped I'd get a "lucky" Goodmans which
didn't feature this noise, but I suspect there are very few of these.

I'll be ordering a Sharp LC-42XD1E as a replacement, because I know
that also does 1:1 pixel-mapping, at full screen & at full resolution
over DVI & HDMI. Many other UK readers of avforums.com are going for
the Samsung LE40F71B, which also touts this feature, but that's a
little more expensive, as well as 2" smaller.

Note that these are all current, large screen (42", 40"), 1920 x 1080
LCD displays. Perhaps your experience is with plasmas or models
released a few months ago?

I'd be glad to buy a 1920 x 1080 monitor. Sadly, they don't seem to
be available in the UK, but there _ARE_ TVs that do what I want.

Stroller.