[mythtv-users] Can I restrict live-TV to certain tuners?

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 22:55:13 UTC 2007

On 3/5/07, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2007, at 12:58 PM, ryan patterson wrote:
>
> > On my MythTV backend I have 4 HD tuners hooked up to an antenna and
> > one SD tuner hooked to a cable box (with irblaster control).  I
> > only want to have Live-TV access one HD tuner.  I want to reserve
> > the cable box tuner and three HD tuners for recording scheduled
> > shows.  The fourth HD tuner should always be reserved for HD Live-TV.
> >
> > Unfortunately I see no way to limit the tuners that are available
> > to live-TV.  Is there any way to do what I am suggesting?  As it is
> > now entering Live-TV sometimes selects the cable box tuner and
> > sometimes selects a HD tuner.  This behavior is very confusing to
> > the geriatrics in the house.
> > --
>
> If you order your tuners by priority (putting the one you want to use
> for Live TV last) and tell Myth to try to reduce LiveTV conflicts by
> using the tuner least likely to have a recording coming up, you will
> always get that last tuner unless it's actually recording something.
> This is probably the functionality you really want.

Actually I do want to lock out the cable box tuner from Live-TV.  I already
have the "reduce conflicts" thing set but it doesn't seem to work very
well.  MythTV offten selects the cable box tuner even though there are three
idle HD tuners.

For that matter, the functionality you REALLY want is no one to ever
> watch LiveTV and only watch what's been recorded. ;)

That is correct.  But I doubpt it will happen with my group of users.

The only way of watching HDTV is through MythTV so I can accept Live-HDTV
vewing.  I have enough HD tuners (4) so I think I can dedicate one to
Live-TV exclusively no problem.  But I really don't want the cable box tuner
tied up with live-TV.