[mythtv-users] Surround Sound Processing in Linux

Karl Hegbloom karlheg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 22:14:03 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 11:22 +0000, lists at higgers.me.uk wrote:
> Can anyone comment on their setup if their setup is slightly unusual
> and doesn't involve plain stereo into an amp or a digital feed into an amp?
>
> ANy info on a non-standard audio setup might give me some hints on how to
> configure my system.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Steve.

The attached .asoundrc makes the default ALSA device be a 5.1 channel
surround sound device.  It works for me with an Epox motherboard with
Nvidia NForce and the snd_intel8x0 driver.

I use the attached wrapper script to get surround audio from Xine and
Mplayer when it's run by MythTV.  It lives in ~mythtv/bin, and in there
are symlinks to it named 'xine' and 'mplayer'.  PATH is set so that the
~/bin directory is searched first.  The .asound* files required by the
script are created by setting the mixer settings the way I want them and
then using 'alsactl' to dump them to the file.

I've found that DVD sound is much better - brighter - from Xine than
from MythTV's internal player.

--
Karl Hegbloom <karlheg at gmail.com>