[mythtv-users] Takes long time to enter "Watch Recordings" menu

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 15:19:30 UTC 2007

On 3/1/07, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:
> * On Wed Feb 28, 2007 at 06:57:43PM -0500, Tony Lill wrote:
> > The problem is that the frontend downloads program info for every
> > recording you have, not just the ones it is displaying at the
> > moment. This means multiple megabytes of data in your case. If you
>
> I've got a note on my TODO to look into allowing the frontend to
> only request recordings from a specific recording group, but that is
> very low priority for me right now.
>
> > to timeout. Another possible issue is that it also checks if each
> > file exists, so if you have disks spun down of are using an
> > automounter, that adds a bunch more delay.
>
> This is true for 0.20 and prior, but 0.21 will not do this anymore.
> This was being done to allow the MasterBackendOverride setting to
> force the master to hand out it's own info for any file that it could
> serve up even if it was recorded on a slave.  Now, we just determine
> that information when you actually go to play a file, rather than
> prechecking every file when you get the recording list.
>
> > They are re-designing communications for 0.21 so it caches all of this
> > crap, and only updates what it needs. Whether or not it solves all the
> > problems remains to be seen.
>
> Yes, in current SVN, we cache the program list so that we only
> retrieve the list if we receive an event from the backend that
> indicates the list has changed.  When you do things like switch
> recording groups, etc. we just use the cached copy of the list.
> >
> > I do have a patch...
>
> This is similar to what I was thinking.  I saved it in my patches
> directory for when I finally take a look at this. :)

following this thread with interest, I don't think the clues help an
issue I've had lately.

I have two frontends, one is my main HD frontend, with a Athlon64
3200+ (o/c'd) and 1GB of RAM and the other is an AthlonXP 1600+ (in
the bedroom) with 512MB of RAM (with XvMC enabled for HDTV). The watch
recordings screen is *slow* on the Athlon64, like a few seconds delay
between pressing up/down and it actually moving. The AthlonXP is fine
its speed in moving through the shows. None of the preview/image
settings change this behavior on either system.

Both systems are on the same 100bT network.
anyone have any ideas?

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!